Youth For Med
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Youth For Med

Students in favour of the Mediterranean.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Umag, Croatia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nura Abbas

Umag, Croatia Empty
PostSubject: Umag, Croatia   Umag, Croatia EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 9:21 pm

UMAG

Hi, I'm Umag.
I'm in Croatia, in low Slovènia.
It's a small town and port on the north-western coast of Istria. It also has the reputation of the Istrian sports centre, since as the host of the ATP tournament for many years now, it attracts numerous top world tennis players.
We speak Croatian but also Italian,English,French...

I was mentioned for the first time in the 7th century by an anonymous citizen from Ravenna, but had already existed in Roman times.
In the 9th century the fortified settlement of Sipar was devastated by the Neretva pirates.
However, Umag grew in significance thanks also to its location, a small islet separated from the mainland by a narrow channel.
With the fall of the Venetian Republic, Umag, like the entire eastern Adriatic coast came under the rule of France until 1815 when it passed over to Austria until 1918.
In 1993 with the establishment of the new local rule Umag became an independent municipality, and in 1997 was awarded the status of city.
The main economy branches and income sources of the home people are the vine cultivation and olive growing, tourism and agro tourism.
It's a beautiful city, there's a beautiful port, the old town citadel surrounded by the remains of towered walls from the fourteenth century, the baroque church of St. Mary from the eighteenth century.
It's a natural location and there are a lot of activities in the sea specially windsurfing.
The Lim fyord, a unique geomorphic phenomena as well as to the interior of Istria.

It is a twinned town with Port Townsend (Washington).
Back to top Go down

Umag, Croatia
Page 1 of 1