Youth For Med
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Youth For Med

Students in favour of the Mediterranean.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Athens (Greece)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elsa Casanova

Athens (Greece) Empty
PostSubject: Athens (Greece)   Athens (Greece) EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 pm

[justify][size=12]Athens, Greece

Hiassas!, my name is Eelane and I’m from Greece. I think Greece it’s wonderful and the best city of this country is Athens, my city. Athens is the capital of Greece. Its population is 745,514 habitants and its land area has 39 km2. Cities near the sea are fantastic, and if the sea of the city is the Mediterranean the better. I know that Athens hasn’t got sea but one of the most important harbours is very near, about 10 km from the city,Pyreus.

One of the most important things of Greece is its culture. The city is one of the world's main centres of archaeological research and not only in Greece but in all the colonies my ancestors had, including Spain at the other end of the Mediterraneum.That is why I believe we have a lot of thing in common.We speak Greek but many people also speak English.

Athens has been a popular destination for travelers since antiquity, one of the reasons is because there are a lot of monuments and ruins from ancient times. Athens contains a variety of different architectural styles, ranging from Greco-Roman, Neo-Classical to modern. Many of the most prominent buildings of the city are:the Athens Academy, the Athens City Hall, the Greek Parliament…

The Acropolis is the best known acropolis in the world. This Acropolis was on a hill as the majority of Greek cities. It had got a double function: defensive and religious.
Some of the most important buildings and monuments are related to sports events like the Olympic Games, that are from Greece and they have been celebrated in the city several times.,being the last one in 2004.
I have been to different cities and some of them are similar to Athens. They have got similar links and costumes, and some of them are sister cities of my city. Barcelona in Spain, a fantastic city with urban beaches; Lisbon in Portugal with impressive monuments and Istanbul in Turkey, the capital of an extraordinary country, are some of them. And also we are similar because we share the same sea: The Mediterranean.

Not all the aspects of the city are good. By the late 1970s, the pollution of Athens became very destructive. During the summer the contamination increases particularly during the hottest days. I think that all together, with the help of other countries and the help of our government, will be able to try to reduce this problem.

So, come and visit my city. You will enjoy walking in the parks and seeing fanststic museums.

- Elsa Casanova Sampé 4rt ESO C
Back to top Go down

Athens (Greece)
Page 1 of 1