Youth For Med
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Youth For Med

Students in favour of the Mediterranean.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cádiz, Spain

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gara Gutierrez

Cádiz, Spain Empty
PostSubject: Cádiz, Spain   Cádiz, Spain EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Hi, I’m a city called Cádiz in southwestern Spain. I’m the capital of the Cádiz Province, the autonomous community.I am the oldest city in Europe and I have many names because many people have come to me. The Phoenicians,who came to trade, called me Gadir;the Greeks Gadeira and the Romans Gades; we cannot forget Lord Byron who called me "Mermaid of the Ocean".Here my popular name is "the little siver cup". I like them all.
I have a peculiar geography, I’m located on a small streched peninsula, so I cannot grow very much.I am the door of the Mediterranean sea; if you want to go in or out you have to come tome.
I’m the most populous city in the Bay of Càdiz; I have over 130,000 inhabitants, but this number has declined in the last couple of years, due to the unemployement that affects many young people, who therefore leave me in search of a job elsewhere.
I have an area of 13.30 km2, so I’m not very big.
I’m the gateway of the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea, so my climate is hot in the summer and soft in the winter, but thanks to the strong wind it feels colder than I really am by the influences of the Atlantic Ocean. My success comes from being the home of the true masters of the Mediterranean trade for nearly a millennium.
I’m a city of undoubted interest to tourists for my long and influential history of more than 3,100 years, not only nationally but also for my importance in processes such as the Punic Wars, the discovery of America and so on. Near here there are the Pillars of Hercules that were considered the end of the world when the Greeks and Romans came.
The whole city has many squares, gardens, churches and other sides that reminds them.
I’m also twin sister with several cities on different continents like:
Buenos Aires (Argentina); In Colombia: Cartagena de Indias, La Dorada, Santa Fe de Antioquia and the cities of the Ruta Mutis: Guaduas, Honda, Ambalema, San Sebastián de Mariquita and Bogotá; La Habana (Cuba); In Spain: Ceuta, Huelva, La Coruña, Móstoles, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and Torrevieja; Brest (France); Tánger (Morocco); In México: México DF, Puebla, San Pedro Cholula and Veracruz; San Juan (Puerto Rico); Midway (USA),Wilaya de Dajla (Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic); Montevideo (Uruguay)
We have pollution in marine waters by discharge of untreated sewage. I’m wasting the purified water of the station located between Cadiz and San Fernando and the number of recycling bins in the historic centre is not sufficient.

I'm a nice city and I have many interesting sides that you can enjoy, so I wish you would come to visit me someday, I promise I'm not going to defraud you.
Back to top Go down

Cádiz, Spain
Page 1 of 1